Do you know which undertone your skin has?
No, not the punk rock/new wave band formed in Derry, in 1974. Feargal Sharkey has no place in this conversation, I can assure you.
Your undertone, is different from your complexion – that’s the shade of your skin (light, medium, dark, etc) sometimes just called your skin tone. Your undertone will remain the same no matter how much sun you get, even if your complexion changes from pale in the winter to tanned in the summer. Or rather, after a holiday, as we don’t get too much of a summer here.
There are three different undertones – cool, warm, and neutral. These are the hidden tones in your skin, the ones you don’t really see at first sight when you just look at your face in the mirror.
There’s a couple of different ways to find out which undertone is yours, from looking at the colour of the veins on the inside of your wrist (green-ish and it’s warm, blue or purple-ish and it’s cool, and if you can’t tell it’s likely neutral), to downloading an App for your phone like ‘Color Grab’ for Android.
The method we like in Redlane is to keep some swathes of gold and silver material behind the counter in the store… when we’re styling a customer we can just hold the material to your face so that it reflects light back on your skin.
We note whether it makes your face look grayish or washed out, or if it enhances your skin.
- If the gold material looks best, you have a warm undertone.
- If the silver material looks best, you have a cool undertone.
- If you don’t notice a difference (both silver and gold are flattering), then you likely have a neutral undertone.
You can try this at home with gold and silver card, or even jewellery laid on your wrist.
Now you know…
Looking at the Vogue 2018 list of on-trend colours for this Spring and Summer, we can divide them according to which undertone they suit best.
Warm Undertones Go For:
- Military green: considered now as a neutral hue, just like beige, it often ‘breaks’ elegant or sporty looks on military style pieces.
- Milk white: a full, warm hue. Nothing to do with optical white, which is cooler and cyber-like.
- Chocolate brown: brown is back on the runway.
- Yellow: a vibrant, energizing tone of yellow.
Cool Undertones Go For:
- Lavender: this colour will dominate the whole summer season.
- Purple: Pantone’s 2018 colour of the year is Ultra Violet.
- Rapture rose: a full, princess-like, intense pink shade.
Neutral Undertones Go For:
- Sky blue: a fresh colour that evokes a serene sky.
- Light green: green is back also for summer 2018, this time with a delicate and fresh nuance.
- Tomato red: a totally bold, entrancing hue.
If you need any help deciding, or even just want us to check your face against the metallic material swathes for a laugh, just call in to Redlane!